Skip to content
Home » News » The Auto Insurance Claim Process

The Auto Insurance Claim Process

Most insurance policies require you to provide your carrier with a Notice of Loss after an accident. In many cases, this is a form that you must complete that provides details of the accident. It is best to contact your carrier as soon as possible after an accident to find out what must be done to start the process. If you wait too long, they may deny coverage.

Your insurer may require you to “tender the defense” of the claim. This simply means that you agree to let the insurance company hire a lawyer and participate in any litigation or settlement matters for you or brought against you by other parties.

After your insurer has provided benefits to you (paid to repair your vehicle, etc.), you must generally sign a document that gives the insurer “subrogation rights”. This means that you are agreeing that the insurance company has made you “whole” and that you give them the right to pursue others who may have been negligent. For example, if a drunk driver damages your vehicle; your insurance company will pay to repair your vehicle. Afterwards, they will attempt to get back what they’ve paid you from the drunk driver’s insurance company.



Advocate Law Group P.C. assists clients nationwide and internationally in association with locally licensed attorney members of the Advocate Law Group Network. This Website provides general information rather than legal advice and may be considered an advertisement in some jurisdictions. Images on this website may include stock photos. A mutually acceptable written retainer agreement detailing the legal services and responsibilities we and/or other members of the Network undertake, and the details regarding legal fees and costs, would be required to establish an attorney-client relationship. In cases involving a mass tort, class action, or similar matters involving multiple claimants, individual claims may be combined with others for purposes of fact-finding, trial, and/or potential settlement.

Please see our Website Disclaimer, Terms and Conditions of Use and our Website Privacy Policy.


Principal Office:

2330 Marinship Way, Suite 260 · Sausalito, California 94965

Other Addresses:

78·365 Highway 111, Suite 315 · La Quinta, CA 92253

43 West 43rd Street, Suite 84 · New York, NY 10036

5215 North Sabino Canyon Road • Tucson, AZ 85750

©2023 Advocate Law Group P.C. (“Advocate”). All Rights Reserved